Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tea Cup Candle; DIY.

So I'm a little behind as you can most likely tell.
I made this super quick and easy craft as and addition to my Mom's Mothers day gift.

I didn't take pictures through the whole process but it is SUPER easy and can be given at many occasions!


Supplies
*Tea cups of your choice (or any cute container really) I chose these cups because they were kinda vintage looking, super affordable, and can be used later!
*Candle Wicks - I chose the 3 1/2" pre waxed/wired pack from Michael's ($3.99)
*Candle Wax - I dont have the exact quantity, but it was a rectangle block about the size of my forearm  from Michael's ($13.00)
*Candle Scent - I chose Pearberry #130310 from Michael's ($3.99)
*Candle wax color agent of your choice
*Pot, metal or glass bowl, knife and chopstick.

Step 1: Set up a double boiler on your stove top. Basically just a regular size pot of boiling water, and a glass or metal bowl to place on top. I used a metal bowl as it is easier clean up I find. Bring your water to a boil turn down to about (5-6) on your heat dial and place your bowl on top.

Step 2: This is where I basically did want I wanted; not fully following the instructions on the wax package as I do not have a "wax thermometer" so I just did what I felt was correct and it turned out great.

Step 3: Cut your block of wax into rough cubes, and place into your bowl. To fill the tea cups I used I made the ratio off a cup of wax per tea cup. Then added in 4 extra cubes of wax to use for a top up later. * You can also use left over half melted candles and tea lights for this instead of new wax.

Step 4: Let your wax fully melt. It took about 10 minutes tops for it all to melt. I stirred it occasionally with a chop stick just so I could throw it out after and not have to clean wax off of a regular spoon.

Step 5: Adding the scent. They give you a measurement on the package. I ended up using 3/4 of the little bottle for 2 1/2 cups of melted wax. I poured that in and let it heat up all of the wax.

Step 6: Coloring your wax. At Michael's I believe they had some dye for the candles in wax form or liquid. However I have a really super inexpensive alternative. Crayons.

I used to melt crayons as a child into molds and this is the perfect coloring agent; and gives you WAY more variety than what is in the store. I just broke off the tip of one yellow crayon, and one greeny/yellow crayon to color all of my wax into a Pear shade to go with the scent. Let the wax warm for another minute and stir to move the color all around.

Step 7: Adding the wick. This is super simple and the reason I purchased the wire set. Straighten out your wick and dip the bottom metal piece attached in the the boiled wax and stick it to the bottom of your tea cup. This will stick your wick right in the center, and keep it from falling in when you fill the cups.

Step 8: Pouring the wax. Take the bowl off of your boiler (using oven mitts) and pour into your cups. The wax will shrink as it dries; so pour it as close to the top as you can. At this point you can again straighten out your wick's if you need to. Let sit for about 5 minutes and move over to a cooler area. I just put mine by a open window sill. This speeds up the drying time.

Step 9: When your wax is fully dry you will notice that it has shrunk, and there is most likely a little pit around the wick; this is why you made a little more wax than necessary at the beginning. Take the left over dried wax that is still in your metal/glass bowl and reheat on your double boiler. Simply pour and fill your pits and edges and let dry again.

Step 10: Give this cute little gift to someone special!

I forgot to take pictures before they were lit, my mom was too quick! So that means she loved them!

 


So I hope this inspires you to make something cute, for someone special or just for yourself.
haha I know what everyone is getting for christmas, wether they like it our not haha.

XO. Kyla

8 comments:

  1. Hey Kyla! Sorry I'm posting this here but I couldn't find your email but I wanted to show you something. You might have seen it already too, I don't know but in the etsy finds email today I noticed a polaroid plushie that looked a lot like your polaroid plushies.

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/46589050/polaroid-friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get started on this. It will be my mom's late Mother's Day gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carol!

    It's kyla-anderson@hotmail.com

    I just got home to see the same email too, it's kind of bumming me out. I'm not sure if I should say anything :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judith,

    lovely! they are super fun to make. I'd love to see pictures when they are all finsihed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, those are SOOOO cute!
    i want to try doing those someday :)
    cuteness
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You absolutely should. It is super simple! I think I'm going to be making candles out of every cute container I can find :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your blog !!
    do not miss my goods , they are very beautiful !!

    acrylic jewelry

    Akoya pearl beads

    Akoya Pearl Bracelets

    ReplyDelete